The privacy statement below applies to Legal Beetle’s services and is based on the model of the Dutch Bar Association. It is therefore not exemplary of how Joost normally writes privacy statements for clients (!).
- General: Legal Beetle respects your personal data and ensures that personal information provided to us or otherwise obtained is treated confidentially. Personal data refers to any information about a person. Data that indirectly says something about someone is also personal data. The following gives effect to the information obligation laid down in the GDPR to the data subject(s) whose personal data Legal Beetle processes.
- Controller and communication: Legal Beetle – located at (5211 AK) Willemsplein 2 in Den Bosch – processes personal data in order to offer services, improve services and communicate with you personally as a data subject. You can also sign up to receive a newsletter or other forms of communication from Legal Beetle.
- Purpose of processing personal data: Legal Beetle processes the personal data mentioned below for the purposes mentioned below: – Provision of legal services, including performance of an agreement and conducting (legal) proceedings; – Collection of invoices; – Advice, mediation and referral; – Compliance with our professional rules and legal obligations such as Wwft obligations; – Marketing and communication activities such as client satisfaction surveys. Conflict-of-interests check: your data may be used in new cases to check for possible conflicts of interest (with you as a client). To this end, we use only the necessary data to verify this.
- What personal data are processed? Legal Beetle processes the following (types or categories of) personal data: (1) Contact details (such as e-mail address and home address) of/about persons working for your organisation and/or your contract parties or counterparties (2) Further identifying data of/about persons working for your organisation such as date of birth, gender and form of address. More specifically, this may include: basic information such as your first and last name, title, gender, the company where you work or your position; contact details such as postal address, (mobile) telephone number or e-mail address; additional personal data such as proof of identity, date of birth, nationality and marital status; financial information, such as your bank account number; technical data, such as your IP address, the device you use to visit our website and the pages you view; all other personal data that we receive from or about you or that we can obtain ourselves and that we use for the purposes mentioned below. The aforementioned personal data are processed by Legal Beetle because they have been provided by your organisation, obtained in the context of the provision of services, made known to us by third parties, including counterparties, or have become known through public sources.
- Basis of processing personal data: Legal Beetle processes the aforementioned personal data exclusively on the basis of the following grounds as referred to in Article 6 of the GDPR: – legal obligation such as the obligations under the Wwft; – performance of an agreement with Legal Beetle; – consent obtained from the person(s) involved; – legitimate interest of Legal Beetle or its client and/or third parties.
- Recipients: Legal Beetle only shares your personal data with third parties to the extent necessary for the provision of services with due observance of the aforementioned purposes. This includes, for example, the observation of the practice by another lawyer, the performance of an expert investigation or the engagement of another third party on behalf of and at the instruction of Legal Beetle, such as an IT supplier, but also the provision of your personal data in connection with (legal) proceedings or correspondence with the other party. In addition, Legal Beetle may provide personal data to a third party, such as a regulator or another body vested with public authority, insofar as there is a legal obligation to do so. A processing agreement will be concluded with the third party processing your personal data on behalf of and at the instructions of Legal Beetle, as a result of which that third party is also obliged to comply with the GDPR. Third parties engaged by Legal Beetle, who offer services as processors, are themselves responsible for compliance with the GDPR for the (further) processing of your personal data. This could include an accountant, notary, other third party engaged for the purpose of a second opinion or expert report.
- Personal data security: Legal Beetle attaches great importance to the security and protection of your personal data and, taking into account the state of the art, provides appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure a risk-appropriate security level. In the event Legal Beetle uses the services of third parties, such as an IT supplier, Legal Beetle will agree on adequate security measures in a processor’s agreement in the context of personal data protection.
- Retention period personal data: Legal Beetle will not retain personal data processed for longer than necessary for the aforementioned purposes of data processing or as required under laws and regulations. Personal data received for the purpose of an offer will be deleted as soon as no acceptance by your organisation occurs.
- Privacy rights of data subjects: You can send a request for inspection, correction, restriction, opposition, data portability, deletion of your personal data or withdrawal of previously given consent via contact. You will receive further notice from us within four weeks of receiving your request. There may be circumstances in which Legal Beetle cannot or cannot fully comply with your request as a data subject. These include the duty of confidentiality of lawyers and statutory retention periods. In order to make sure that we provide the relevant personal data to the right person on the basis of your request, we ask you to submit a copy of a valid passport, driving licence or proof of identity with a protected passport photo and BSN number for verification purposes. Legal Beetle will only process requests that relate to your own personal data.
- Use of social media: The Legal Beetle website includes buttons (also called buttons) and/or links to promote or share web pages on social (media) networks or third-party websites, such as Twitter or Linkedin. Legal Beetle does not monitor and is not responsible for the processing of your personal data by and through such third parties. The use of such media is therefore at your own risk. Before using those third-party services, it is advisable to read the privacy statement of those third parties.
- Security: Legal Beetle uses reliable processors and third parties, all based in the EU/EEA. Processor agreements have been concluded with them and non-disclosure agreements taken where necessary. You are aware that despite all security measures taken by the office, no absolute certainty against unauthorised consultation can be given.
- Amendment of privacy statement: Legal Beetle is entitled to amend the contents of this privacy statement at any time without prior notice. Amendments to the privacy statement will be published on the law firm’s website. Please therefore consult our website https://www.legalbeetle.com regularly.
- Questions & Contact: If you have any questions or comments about the processing of your personal data and this privacy statement, please contact Joost Gerritsen.